They say in Texas if you don’t like the weather now, wait a bit and it will inevitably change. Today is January 7, 2010 and the high today is 67 degrees. The low tonight will be 37 degrees. By next Tuesday January 11th the high is supposed to be 37 degrees and the low 20 degrees. The week after that it will most likely be back up to the mid 70’s. No..really..I have seen crazier things happen with Texas weather. So for those of you with precious items in your yard or garden it’s time to prepare!! Here are some tips to get you going!
- Cover all tender plants with Frost Cloth available at your local nursery in various lengths and sizes to custom fit your flower beds.
- Protect containers or specimen plants with a Plant Protector Bag. Drawstring at the top and bottom will secure your plants warmly.
- Water all your plants and containers before the cold weather hits, because a dry plant will suffer more damage.
- Make sure you do not use plastic to cover your plants, because it will cause a burn on them.
- Mulch your flower beds and plants well to keep plant roots insulated. Your local nursery carries many types of mulch to accent and protect your plants.